Jamestown Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicycle accidents involving motor vehicles can be tragic. Jamestown bicycle accident lawyer Scott Humble can help you protect your rights and recover the financial compensation you deserve.
For victims, a bicycle accident can have a lasting impact on quality of life and result in severe injuries and even death. In fact, each year in New York, nearly 40 cyclists are killed in motor vehicle-involved accidents, and nearly 4,000 of these accidents require emergency room visits.
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, an experienced attorney can help you protect your rights and receive financial compensation for your injuries.
Jamestown bicycle accident lawyer Scott Humble is committed to fighting for the rights of bicycle accident victims. After an accident, your primary focus should be on your recovery, not on mounting medical bills, fighting with insurance companies, or proving who’s at fault. Let us help you fight for compensation and manage the legal process.
Call today for a free case evaluation or to learn more about you or a loved one’s rights.
Why You Need an experienced Jamestown Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicycle accidents are often traumatic for cyclists. These accidents can be life-changing, resulting in long-term disability, emotional distress, and even death.
According to the state, nearly 70% of bicycle accidents involving a vehicle were the fault of the driver. These accidents can be caused for many reasons:
- Distracted drivers
- Vehicles turning in front of a cyclist
- Collisions caused by inadequate lighting or signage
- Drivers opening doors in front of bikers
- Drivers merging into bicycle lanes
When you are not at fault for an accident, you are entitled to financial compensation. A qualified bicycle accident lawyer will not only help you build your case and prove fault, but ensure you receive maximum compensation.
How Bicycle Accident Victims Are Compensated
After an accident, a victim often experiences new difficulties: Financial pressure, emotional distress, and physical pain. Victims are entitled to compensation for their suffering – both physical, emotional and financial.
There are two types of compensation in bicycle accident cases: Compensatory and punitive damages.
Compensatory Damages. Compensatory damages help you recover from your accident. These damages cover costs that you might incur, as well as future pain and suffering. This type of compensation can help you pay for:
- Medical bills and treatment
- Lost wages
- Long-term disability
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment (for example, not being able to return to hobbies)
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional distress
Punitive Damages. Additionally, your case might qualify for punitive damages. This type of compensation is determined by the jury if your case goes to trial, and it is used as a financial punishment for the defendant. An experienced Jamestown bicycle accident lawyer can help you determine if punitive damages are appropriate in your case.
What to Do If You’ve Been in a Bicycle Accident
In the immediate aftermath of a bicycle accident, you may be unconscious or in immense physical pain. Always, the first step should be to stay safe and seek medical advice.
If you’ve been in an accident, here’s what steps to take:
- Seek Medical Attention – First and foremost, you should protect your health. If you’re conscious, seek medical attention. Stay at the accident location, unless you’re in the way of oncoming traffic. If you must move from the roadway, move to a location within view of the accident scene and wait for police.
- Record Your Injuries – After an accident, you may be in shock. Yet, if you’re conscious, begin to document your injuries. Be sure to note:
- Any areas of pain
- Visual injuries
- Where you were struck
- Bleeding and torn clothing
- Call Police – When police arrive on the scene, they will want to talk to you about the accident. Tell police the exact steps that led to your accident, but do not admit fault. If you do not remember the details – which is common, especially if you are in shock – you might not have much information to share.
- DO NOT Admit Fault – New York and Jamestown cycling laws are complex, and it’s likely you might not know what your rights are as a cyclist. As such, avoid talking about fault with law enforcement and the motorist’s insurance company. An admission of fault – even if it was made inaccurately – can be used against you and harm your case.
- Contact Your Insurance Company – If you have a current auto insurance policy, contact your insurer. Car insurance companies often provide insurance to customers involved in auto-related accidents, even if one of the “vehicles” was your bicycle. This can help you file post-accident claims with your insurer.
- Seek Legal Advice – Contacting an attorney right away will help you protect your rights. A bicycle accident lawyer can help you understand your rights, what steps to take, and help you receive a settlement for your injuries.
Call Today for a FREE Case Evaluation
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident in the Jamestown area, don’t hesitate to call Jamestown bicycle accident lawyer Scott Humble. We are happy to provide a free case evaluation to determine whether or not you have a case. We answer any questions you might have, and help you start the legal process.